Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Drinking on the Job

Right now I would like to discuss the extremely relaxed attitude towards drinking in Spain. Unlike Americans, Spaniards never find it innapropriate to have a drink. In fact, I am currently in the teachers lounge of my school, it is 10:30 in the morning and most of the teachers have already enjoyed a nice drink. Of course they´re not lining up shots looking to get saucy, but since it´s Christmas time, one of the teachers brought in a bottle of holiday liqueur. When I walked into the room, the first guy I saw had a drink poured and said good morning by toasting me.

This is not the only time that I have experienced something like this. I have gone on a number of field trips with my students which have all been pretty fun and interesting. However, while in the U.S., for the teachers to drink during a field trip would be stongly against the rules, but no one seems to care here. In fact, they more or less encourage it. On one of the trips we were getting lunch and I asked for an iced tea and they brought me out a beer. Not like I was complaining, but just a little taken aback. It also surprised me how unconcerned the teachers were about the kids. We were in Cordoba at the ancient palace of the king and queen, and there was a tall guard tower. Apparently it was too small for all the kids to go up, so they all waited at the bottom while the teachers went up and enjoyed the view. Once again I did not mind this but it was still a bit of a surprise how they didn´t really care about the kids.

Also on the not of teachers drinking, we have a bar in our school. That´s right, there is a bar where we go to drink coffee and eat lunch. It is really just a small cafeteria for the teachers but there is a legitimate bar that serves beer if you want it. I have yet to see someone actually drink a beer while at school, but it is there if you want it.

So for those of you who´s interests include drinking all day and ignoring young children who you are supposed to be responsible for, come to Huarte de San Juan. Where there is always a cold beer waiting for you in the teachers lounge, and kids just asking to be ignored.

2 comments:

  1. That is hysterical!!

    But so true. When I was in Italy that was the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So because I drink at work in the USA I am going against the social norm?

    ReplyDelete