Thursday, October 1, 2009

MULLETS BABY!!!

So today I would like touch on some of the cultural differences between the United States and Spain that I have noticed thus far. First and foremost, the mullet. Yes, people in Spain actually rock the mullet. I don't know if people in the U.S. every actually found the mullet attractive, but there was certainly a time when it was fashionably accepted (Uncle Jesse from full house even had trouble making this look good). I haven't researched the history of the mullet in Spain but I would say that it is currently accepted as a common hair style, and no they have not discovered a way to make it look good. I have yet to capture this cultural phenomenon on camera but I assure you that I will do everything in my power to do so.

I also went to my school for the first time today. The school in itself was similar to one in the U.S. It had about 800 kids and all the teachers seemed nice. The bilingual director Miguel showed me around and he was a cool dude. I also found that there is really no dress code for teachers. One of the teachers was actually wearing a Rolling Stones T-Shirt, party on Garth. However, most male teachers wear a regular button down shirt with slacks, which brings me to my next point, chest hair. I have always know that men of Spanish descent love to show off their beautiful chest hair but I thought this was on a more casual basis like at the bar or club. Apparently teachers like to display their flowing locks in school too. One man, who was actually like the dean of students or something important like that, didn't just stop at the chest hair. He also had the bottom of his shirt untucked a little and one of the buttons was undone displaying a beautiful beer belly lol. This was obviously an accident but I couldn't believe it when I saw it and I almost puked a little in my mouth.

In closing, today I discovered that what I thought was a handicapped waterfountain in my bathroom is in fact a bidet, or what our friends in Appalachia might call a butt washer. Enjoy your lunch everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment