Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ruining Childrens Lives

So the other day was my first day being in the classroom and what an interesting day it was. I didn't actually do any teaching because it was really just meant for me to meet the students and get to know them. It basically involved me telling all the kids what my favorite food and color was. The whole situation is really weird because these teachers are supposed to be teaching the classes in English but only one or two of them seem to know how to actually speak well. One class I'm in is an art class which is a real trip because I don't know anything about art. Also, the teacher knows basically no English and he really doesn't give a crap so the other he taught the class in Spanish and then threw on some video that taught kids how to draw a face but in English.



The craziest thing that happened to me the other day was that I was sitting on one of the computers at school procrastinating when one of the teachers came up to me. He threw three pieces of paper in front of me and the yammered off some really fast Spanish, then walked away. From what I understood he told me to translate the questions on the page and that they were for a test. The funny thing about the whole situation is that I'm not sure who the guy was or if I had even actually met him before. From the papers I understand that he teaches history but I don't think I'm even going to be working with the man. He just said some crap and before I could even translate it in my head and think of a response he was gone and I was left with three tests that I need to translate? I did the best I could to translate the papers but I realize that he is probably going to take my word for the truth. So essentially I am responsible for how these children learn about Prehistoric Art in English so jokes on them haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment